The Fourth of July is a celebratory time spent with friends and family. Whether you plan to watch fireworks, host a BBQ, or go to the beach, you will likely run into traffic around this holiday as more people are out celebrating. It is crucial to prioritize your and your loved ones' safety and do what you can to have fun on Independence Day.
Here are some tips that Thom's Four Wheel Drive can offer to ensure your safety this 4th of July:
- Always be alert and aware of your surroundings when going. Fourth of July is deemed one of the most dangerous days in the United States to drive, primarily due to the increase of drunk drivers on the road.
- Practice defensive driving. Maintain a safe distance between drivers, especially while driving on the highway. Another way to practice defensive driving is to wait a couple more seconds when waiting at a stop sign or stoplight.
- Plan on how to get to your destination. As mentioned before, there will be more drivers on the road, and parking may be difficult to find in most places. Try to get to your destination earlier and account for traffic times to avoid stress.
- Have a ride worked out if you plan to drink. Be sure you have a designated driver or carpool using rideshare if you anticipate on drinking this holiday. Never drink and drive or let a drunk person drive you.
- Understand fireworks regulations. The fireworks you can buy and use in Illinois — unless you're a professional with a permit — are quite limited. Do your research before lighting up a firework. Lastly, try to keep any flammable items away from children.
- Practice warm weather practices. You should stay adequately hydrated at all times and bring extra water wherever you go. Additionally, protect yourself from the sun when outdoors - wear sunscreen and appropriate clothing, including hats and sunglasses.
If you plan to travel great distances with your vehicle this Fourth of July weekend, we always recommend that you get your car inspected beforehand to ensure your safety. At Thom's Four Wheel Drive, we offer pre-trip inspections to verify that your vehicle can withstand the drive.
We hope that these tips will help you and allow you to have a safe and fun holiday weekend—happy Independence Day from Thom's Four Wheel Drive!